Microblading is a procedure categorized under permanent makeup, but unlike traditional cosmetic tattooing, it is less invasive and is considered semi-permanent. Microblading typically lasts 1-3 years, depending on skin type and skincare routine. The procedure is done by using a hand tool with ultra fine needles and each ‘hair’ is gently etched into the skin, giving an incredibly natural and realistic look. Microblading can dramatically correct or fully reconstruct lost eyebrow and is excellent for those wanting to enhance their brows or who have little to no eyebrows, thinning brows from age or over tweezed brows. Pigments used are chosen to match the natural or desired brow color and skin tone will also be taken into consideration.
This method is done with a digital machine. The colour is implanted deeper into the skin, known as the dermal layer. It lasts longer than microblading method. Permanent makeup only needs to be re-touched approximately every 2 years. The skin does take slightly longer to heal being that is was done with a digital pen therefore the treated area needs aftercare ointment for approximately 7-10 days.
STEP 1: The first step is the consultation. This takes approximately 20 mins. During this time, all your questions will be answered, the day of the treatment itself will be fully explained and a deposit is necessary. Upon completing the deposit, you can book the procedure where the balance due will be paid.
STEP 2: The initial procedure takes approximately 2 hours. During this time, you will fill out a form and then we create a design. Once you are satisfied with the basic shape and symmetry, the area is then traced over and semi-permanent pigment is applied with a disposable microblading tool or a digital machine depending on the chosen treatment.
STEP 3: The third stage of the treatment is a touch up appointment. The touch up that takes approximately 1 hour and is included in your service. Touch up is done no earlier than 6 weeks of your initial procedure and no later than 10 weeks. If you do not schedule your touchup within 10 weeks, you will be required to pay a touch up fee. It is imperative you complete the touch up treatment. Without it, the results will not be optimal. Colour will fade significantly within 4 weeks as the skin heals, peels and fades. The touch up corrects any irregularities in the hair strokes, colour tones and finishes the process.
The eyebrow area will be slightly red after the procedure and colour will appear very dark. This is normal for the procedure and part of the healing process. The colour will fade by up to 40% as it heals. In the following days, the eyebrows will continue to be dark and you will notice slight scabbing. Do not pick at the scabs as this may damage the skin and the outcome of the microbladed area. The eyebrows will lighten up in colour as it heals. It takes approximately 7-14 days for the brows to heal over, and about 1 month for the colour to fully set in. You’ll notice the colour is very light right after the two weeks after healing; the skin will have an opaque milky looking quality to it. This is known as the milk skin and is common in tattooing. This is due to the the tissue still healing from the inside out even though the surface of the skin is healed. True colour will reveal itself once healed.
Yes! A touch up session after 6 weeks is necessary as everyone heals differently and outcome will vary. Certain areas may not pick up during first session and will need to be refilled. Pigment colour may need to be adjusted, brow thickness and more strokes can be added. Individuals with oily skin often require a deeper shade during the touch up session as the oils tend to lighten the pigment. Most importantly, your touch up session is when we refine your brows to ensure it looks perfect and retains the colour for the expected amount of time!
Touch up sessions should not be done earlier than 4 weeks after initial microblading session as pigment colour has not fully settled into the skin. Most importantly, this is to prevent scar damage as the tissue requires time to completely heal.
The pain level for the procedure is considered mild to none. Prior to the procedure your brow technician will apply a topical anesthetic to numb the area, and also reapplied during the procedure. Everyone responds differently to anesthetic; depending on the client, the feeling of the procedure has been described as light cat scratches to not feeling anything. Topical anesthetics used may contain lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine and epinephrine.
After the procedure, redness and slight swelling in the area is normal. Clients describe the area feeling similar to a light sunburn. Clients can take Tylenol but not aspirin or ibuprofen.
Since microblading pigments are not implanted into the skin as deep as traditional tattoos, the area will naturally fade overtime. Microblading typically lasts 1-3 years, depending on skin type (normal, oily, dry), age (youthful/mature). Skincare routine will also affect the lasting effect of the pigment: patients who tan, uses products with AHA or Glycolic Acid with fade faster as your skin will resurface faster. Each individual’s colour retention within the skin will vary. To maintain the brows looking fresh, a touch up is suggested every 12-18 months.
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions. Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of the following:
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 48 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone.
- No Botox, face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- Feel free to come in with their brow makeup on so our technician can see your every day look you prefer. Reference pictures of shapes and colours of brows are always welcomed. We will then work together to create the perfect brows!
After your procedure, clients are strongly recommended to follow these instructions:
- Within 2 hours after the procedure, clean brows using a q-tip and lightly moisten with lukewarm water. Gently wipe away the old healing balm and any lymphatic liquid (clear yellowish liquid) that may have built up. Lightly pat dry with tissue and using a new q-tip, re-apply healing balm to the brows.
- Make sure to apply a thin layer of healing balm morning and night to brows for at least 5-7 days.
- Do not over apply healing balm.
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 48 hours. When showering, make sure to avoid face area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid brows and clean around it.
- After 48h of no wetting them, wash them gently everyday with mild soap and lukewarm water. Pat, don’t rub.
- Do not put makeup on the brow area for a minimum of 10 days. Microbladed area is an open wound, using makeup may cause infections.
- Brow area will feel slightly itchy as it heals and will start to lightly scab over. Do not peel or pick at the scabs as this can affect the outcome and pigmentation.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
Microblading is not suitable for the following candidates:
- Using Accutane
- Have heart conditions or using heart medications
- Have diabetes (will require a physician’s note)
- Have skin disease or irritations
- Have had Botox in the last 2 weeks
- Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- Allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- Anyone who has any serious medical conditions may require a physician’s note.
- Pregnant or nursing clients.
- Have a type of cancer.
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who we deem not suitable for this procedure or for any other reason.*